Sunday 30 September 2018

Theme Conundrum

As returning students know, every year in the Gifted Program Classes we have a theme.  I often get asked what the new theme will be, but I always like to keep it under wraps until classes start.  I also get asked how I come up with the different themes.  Well, every year in the spring I start thinking about what the next year's theme is going to be. Usually I begin with a few ideas and I mull them over, just letting them percolate through my brain.  Along with the percolating I rework the ideas until I find something I like.  Usually by the start of the summer I have a pretty good idea of what the new theme will be, and then I start coming up with ideas for what we will do related to the theme.

This year was different though.  When summer started, I didn't have the foggiest idea what the theme would be.  I wasn't worried though, my process had worked in the past, it would work again.  But as July turned into August I still didn't have a theme that I was happy with!  As August was winding down I was beginning to get desperate.  Really desperate.  One night late in August I couldn't sleep -- the lack of a theme was making me crazy!  I crept out of bed and decided to go for a drive along the lake.  I rolled down all the windows on my souped up mini-van and turned on the radio.  After a few so-so tunes I heard an ad, an ad that was going to save my bacon!

You can listen to the ad below.



What did I do?  Well what do you think I did?!!!  I filled in the 'Theme! Theme! Theme!' online questionnaire and breathlessly awaited their response.  Find out what they suggested... in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are being moderated. They will not show up until the moderator has approved them.