Sabotage on the Space Ship Forensic!We are pretending that we are the crew of the Space Ship Forensic. The crew is on a multi-year mission to explore the far reaches of space. Apparently one of the crew members misses Earth and has sabotaged our ship! A note was left for the captain--the author of the note has stolen a computer chip that is important in keeping the life support system going. If the captain does not return the ship to Earth, the chip will not be returned and everyone will perish! Each of the classes is using their forensic skills to sift through clues in this puzzling case. Here are some of the things the crew is investigating:
- identifying the handwriting on the note
- using ink chromatography to match the ink to one of the different brands of pens available on the ship
- matching a fingerprint found on the envelope with the fingerprints of the crew
- matching the torn top of the note to the paper pad the note may have come from
- matching hair, fibre and footprint samples found at the scene.
Stay tuned as we puzzle our way through this case!
Project Presentations Continued
Last week and this week we had the following presentations:
- Niamh presented her BitStrips comic 'Mystery'
- Ty presented his Scratch Mystery Game
- Katie and Logan had the class play their 'WWII Spies' Jeopardy game on the interactive whiteboard
- Graham presented his BitStrips comic 'The Stock Mystery'
- Mykenna presented 'Identifying Birds' which she created in Comic Life
- Anya presented her slideshow on Koalas
- Sophie presented her slideshow on Penguins
- Gerry presented his slideshow on Identifying House Cats
- Rowyn presented her slideshow on Tiny Spiders
- Iain demonstrated his Forensic Board Game to the class
- Dija had her story 'The Blanket Mystery' read to class
|A scene from Niamh's comic 'Mystery'|
|A scene from Graham's comic 'The Stock Mystery'|
Field Trip and Other Important Dates
This Tuesday, May 3rd, the grade 3, 4 and 5 students will be hopping on a bus and going to Okanagan Science Centre in Vernon! We're looking forward to having a great day. Thank you to the parents (and a grandparent!) who have volunteered to be chaperones for the trip.
Students are reminded to bring:
- recess snack and juice / water
- bag lunch
- suitable shoes for walking (e.g. no flip flops)
- good behavior :-)
Things to leave at home:
- electronic devices of all kinds
Penticton students are asked to be at Wiltse at 7:45am in the bus zone (next to the playground). We will be departing at 8am. Trout Creek students are asked to be at Trout Creek Elementary at 8:10am. I anticipate the bus arriving just before 8:20am and departing soon after.
Gifted classes are cancelled for the week of May 2nd - 6th due to the field trip on May 3rd.
Gifted Classes Wrap Up The Week Of May 16th.
This is our last week of classes for this school year.
Open House May 17th and 19th for students in grades 1 - 3.
Parents of students in grades 1 - 3 are invited to drop in and see what we've been up to this year. Parents are welcome anytime between 12:30 and 2:30pm.